Senior Naval Architect
Gibbs & Cox Australia (GCA) provides world-leading naval and marine engineering expertise for Australia’s maritime enterprise. Our vision is a vibrant, sustainable, sovereign Australian shipbuilding, design and maritime enterprise.
GCA is a subsidiary of Gibbs & Cox, Inc., an international leader in naval ship design, providing naval engineering and design services on a range of major combatant and surface autonomy programs. Based in Arlington, VA, Gibbs & Cox has a proud history of excellence, serving naval, government, commercial, and private marine clients since 1929. GCA leverages support from Gibbs & Cox’s international network of expertise to offer world’s best practice in naval ship design and engineering.
In Australia, we operate a select, highly skilled, internationally diverse engineering team, providing engineering and design advisory services to Australia’s naval programs. Our team holds expertise across acquisition program management, naval architecture, marine engineering, systems engineering, integrated logistics support, and engineering consulting.
We currently have a requirement for a naval architect working in a ship stability focused role to support Navy’s exploration of future surface combatant requirements and concepts.
We are seeking a naval architect with the following characteristics:
- Passionate about the naval sector and the development of Australia’s sovereign naval engineering capabilities
- Focused on professional development and knowledge sharing, both as an individual and in the teams they work with
- More than 8 years’ experience in professional naval architecture roles
- Strong skills and experience in intact and damaged stability analysis and weight management
- A positive, customer-focused, committed attitude, with high professional standards
- Excellent communication skills
- The current right to work in Australia, and hold an NV1 or secret-equivalent security clearance from a 5-EYES nation
The following additional characteristics would be a significant advantage in the role:
- Knowledge of naval stability standards and regulations
- Strong general knowledge of naval ship design, including general arrangement, outfit arrangement, survivability characteristics, etc.
- A sense of urgency and commitment to working against planned timelines
- Ability to engage with senior stakeholders and decision authorities, and clearly articulate complex positions and issues
- Ability to collaborate with and coordinate work across a complex stakeholder group with divergent interests
This opportunity is directed towards candidates who are ready to make a commitment to the role and their career in a situation where they can develop within a highly capable team, and ultimately influence Australia’s surface ship engineering practice and outcomes.
Remuneration will be attractive for the right candidate and will be agreed based on expertise and capability. The role is based in Canberra, and a comprehensive relocation package will be offered to support candidates relocating to Canberra where required.
Please submit CVs with a covering note outlining your circumstances and interests to email@example.com.